Tuesday, July 5th, 2022

Man Dies After Medical Episode While in Police Detention Tuesday – NBC 5 Dallas -Fort Worth

A man in Denton Police custody on Tuesday during a disturbance call died after experiencing a “medical episode” while in custody, police said.

An update from Denton Police is expected at 4:15 pm Live video can be found at the top of this page.

According to Denton Police, at about 11:42 p.m. officers were called to a disturbance at a hotel in the 600 block of S. Interstate 35E where the caller reported hearing that the bedroom glass was broken and that the man in inside seems to be “out of it.”

Prior to the 911 call, officers were in the room just 20 minutes later after the occupant called there saying someone had tried to enter his room. When the officers arrived the man said he was fine and didn’t need a policeman, so the officers left.

When police arrived for a second call, they saw two broken windows and a mattress on the sidewalk outside the hotel. Officials reported that the occupant of the room could be heard screaming and screaming and they called for medics nearby.

Hotel staff asked police to remove the man from the room and file criminal charges against him. At the same time officers reported hearing the man screaming in disapproval and shouting for help. Officers used a key to enter the man’s room but returned to the hallway after officers said he took a piece of the broken bed frame and walked over to them.

Police waited a few minutes before returning to the room, hoping the situation would worsen. Entering the second time, they noticed a broken bedframe and blood on the bed and mattress. While trying to talk to the man, police said they did not get an identical response.

The officers left the room again, trying to give him time to calm down, after he pushed the large piece of glass under the toilet door.

About 30 minutes later, after things had calmed down, police said officers re-entered the room and found the man lying on the bed, sweating profusely. The man, according to police, asked officers to shoot him.

Police said the man was placed in double-locked handcuffs without resistance or force but that when he started rolling around and tried to kick the officers he was also put on a leg restraint that wrapped around his knuckles.

Denton Police said the man “experienced a medical phase and became unresponsive” and was taken to a hospital by medics conducted nearby.

Police said that on Wednesday morning they were told the man had died. The man’s birth will be released after his family is notified of his death. The cause of his death has not yet been determined.

Denton Police said Texas Rangers are currently investigating the death in custody and that their internal affairs division is running a concurrent investigation into the man’s death.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.